Saturday, August 26, 2006

First Concert

Alright after going 0 for 2 with my first 2 blogs, this is my third and final one. This one I think is the one that is going to work. First post, I easily have to do it about the Allman Brothers Band. I saw their concert last night at Meadowbrook, (which has no meadow or brook) and I was not to happy.

My first rant is going to be small, not big....Just like Meadowbrook. Now I'm not complaining that it was incredibly small all I am saying is that I thought that it would be a lot bigger. Thousands and thousands of people, hippies everywhere, you have to scamble through the crowd to find a good seat, that kind of thing. There was a decent crowd on hand, just not a huge one...

Next the main topic...The Allman Brothers. When I first heard that the Allman Brothers were coming to Meadowbrook, I was pretty excited, and I was as happy as Ozzy Ozborne at a cocaine convention. I defiantly wanted to go and see this legendary band with fellow blogger Fiedel Giamatti and close friend Kyle Mandrow. I bought the tickets and a few weeks later I arrived at the show.

There was an opening band called Gov't Mule who I thought were pretty good, but the only good thing about them was the guitar player. Other than that, no crazy good drummer or bassist or keyboarder. But, I waited patiently knowing that the Allman Brothers were up next.

After a brief intermission, and after the cash game (I'll get to that later,) the Allman Brothers were on. Finally. Opening up with a pretty good intro song, they started to play, only problem was, I didn't recognize almost any of their first 5 songs. I'm a fan, I know their main songs, but they only played one I knew. I was hoping they would play Midnight Rider pretty soon, but by this time, I really had to take a pis. Sure enough, when I was in the middle of the line, they played it. I heard it and I was pissed. I was madder than George W. Bush trying to say nuclear. I tried to hurry, but by the time I got out, I had missed more than half of the song. I got back thinking, okay, they played Midnight Rider, now they are probably going to play a lot of their famous songs. Sure enough, they didn't.

I waited and waited but no good songs, the traditional drum and bass solo song took over a half an hour...It was probably as straining as a Bill Clinton speech. I was pretty upset. The ABB was not up to par. It felt like that distinct Allman Brothers sound was gone. I know it's because they are getting older and it's live, but I've heard some of their newer live stuff, it sounded good. It was almost sad, that awesome sound faded like my straight A's after taking Spanish class. Even though they weren't their old selves, they could have at least played their famous songs. They didn't play, Jessica, Old Man, Whipping Post or perhaps one of the greatest songs ever, Little Martha.

3rd small rant, is the cash game at the concert. They pulled a random ticket and somebody got to go in this thing while a fan blew money, and he had to catch as much as he could. His name was "Bob." This guy was a loser, the anouncer asked if he had any people with him and he said, "Yeah, they're my fan club...uh...They watch me catch money all the time."....HA! That's hilarious, Bob take, those 47 dollars you won and invest all of it into a comedy career.

Overall the concert was good. Was it worse than coffee or Eric Clapton without Cream, no, but it wasn't amazingly great. I'd give my first concert a 5 or a 6 out of 10.

2 comments:

Paul said...

HAHAHHA

Scanman said...

eric clapton is still amazing without cream