Tuesday, October 10, 2006

MAAA Part 2

Alright, the second part is underway. I know that I'm doing all of this really fast, but you're in no rush to vote. I think that I've decided that each person will get two votes, and you can't vote for the same band twice, but I'm not to sure yet. Well, here are three more nominees.

The Rolling Stones

Arguably THE classic rock band. This band consisted of some Hall of Famers as well. Mick Jagger, (probably the most recognizable male singer besides Elvis) and Keith Richards, a guitar God of the 70's. From starting in '62, they haven't stopped Rolling yet.

From the get go, you could tell that this band was at least going to be a little different. Just a couple of young, crazy guys involved in the British Invasion, but boy could they play music. The original cast included Mick Jagger, Keith (on Rythm!), Brain Jones on lead, Ian Stewart, (piano) Dick Taylor, (bass) and a couple of drummers, none of them were really perminante.

Their first real hit was a cover of Chuck Berry's "Come On." This was the starter that got it going for the Stones. After that came some of the greatest songs of all time. Satisfaction, Under My Thumb, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Sympathy for the Devil, Honkey Tonk Women, Paint it Black, Brown Sugar, It's only Rock and Roll. Yeah, tons and tons of 'em. It's crazy. And after 45 years, they haven't stopped! They're doing a Bigger Bang tour right now.

The Who

My original favorite band. One of the first CDs I ever got was The Who: Live at the Royal Albert Hall. I thought it was good. Later I found out that when The Who did this CD, they were all around 70 years old. I was shocked. I immediately went out and got one of their CDs done in their prime. It was awesome. I have the Then and Now CD. It contains all of their hits. It is easily one of my favorite CDs.

This band was crowned the godfathers of punk. Unfortunately, maybe because of The Who, we have Yellowcard today. Damn. Anyway, it was a Hall of Fame band, literally. Keith Moon on drums, Pete Townshend on lead, Roger Dultry on vocals and the greatest bassist of all-time, John Entwhistle. I don't really like bassists, he is the only one I think is amazing. The solos of his were mind blowing. Listen to Live at the Leeds. On Amazing Journey/Sparks go around 4:15 in and listen to the bass solo. I can't describe it. It's crazy.

Some hits were Who Are You?, 5:15, Subsitute, My Generation, Happy Jack, Summertime Blues, Magic Bus, Relay, Bargin, I Can't Explain, Baba O'Riley, I Can See for Miles, Behind Blue Eyes, Squeeze Box, and probably a lot of others that I'm forgetting. Definitely a top ten band of all time.

Pink Floyd

Not exactly a tough decision. Floyd was definitely a defining rock and roll band. Although they were a little different than a typical rock and roll band, I think that that difference helped put them in a different league. No One can honestly say that there is another band like them, and some might argue that there is not a band out there that was as good as they were.

The Band name had always puzzled me. If you really analyze it, it's weird, and not rock at all. But, the name came from two blues musicians, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. The members included Syd Barret, lead vocals and rhythm guitar (who passed away this year), David Gilmour, lead guitar/vocals, Nick Mason, percussion, Roger Waters, bass lead vocals and Richard Wright, keyboards and vocals. This is the same band with two of the most famous albums in the world, Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

A cool thing about Pink Floyd is that if you count a couple of their hits, the song ties into another one. On Dark Side of the Moon, there are a couple of songs leading up to Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, but they are all just flowing one into another. It's wicked cool. Some hits were Speak to Me/Breath, Brain Damage, Money, Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, Wish you Were Here, Have a Cigar, Welcome to the Machine, you get the picture. Roger Waters is still wicked good in concert, go see him.

That's that for Part Two. Sorry I can't get a lot of pics on here.

10 comments:

Scanman said...

You know, I would vote for a small band from Alabama called, Lynyrd Skynyrd, but since the idiot that wrote this post didnt nominate them My votes will be towards Pink Floyd and The Beatles. I hope you know that Lynyrd Skynyrd was taken into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year.

Michard said...

Pat, Do you get stupider every day, seriously. I'm wondering. I still have another post to go. They were going to be on that one. Way to be Laura. Always a thinker, weren't you?
-Michard

Scanman said...

than why dont you say that you will have three parts

Bobby M said...

Pink Floyd.

Michard said...

I did you idiot. Read the first post. Pat, you are so dumb.
-Michard

Waldo J. Cartridge said...

You said that the Stones were from the US? How stupid do you get, Michard?

This is a complete rip-off of my awards!

Michard said...

W. Sorry, I thought that I fixed the Stones thing. My fault. But, this is not a rip off of your awards. Is it better, no, but they're still good.
-Michard

Bobby M said...

Michard, you can't make another bet until you pay what you owe for this week. I don't care if it's paid in bills, quarters, dimes nickles or pennies, but it's gotta be paid. $2 to me and $1 to Alex. The main rule of betting is only bet what you're willing to lose. Just follow that, and you can't go wrong.

Michard said...

Okay Fine!
-Michard

Casey Affleck said...

WHO will I pick? Ha ha ha